Tuesday, November 16, 2010

The Story Behind A Collection

domino-magazine-jan-09-419x520

I want to thank all of you again for your amazing comments yesterday.  I can't stop smiling!  When you work on something for almost a year, and it finally comes into fruition, all you truly want is for people to enjoy what you have created.  I am so happy that you are enjoying the new collection.

I thought I would take some time today to give you some background on the collection, how it came together, and the amazing cast of people that we worked with to help bring it to life.  It all started with a photo, one of my favorite images from Domino (above).  I don't know if many of you remember this image, but it was taken at the Brooklyn home of Demi Adeniran of Fabrica.  Melanie Acevedo was the photographer on the project.  Demi's daughter Sade was also featured.  Little did I know the first time I saw this photo that many of these people would be involved in my own photo shoot a year-and-a-half later.

The collection was inspired by Brooklyn.  One of my favorite New York boroughs, Brooklyn has been an inspiration.  Full of amazing artists, designers, entrepreneurs, this part of New York is going through its own artistic renaissance.  My husband and I really wanted to celebrate that, and decided to go to Brooklyn to meet with artists, designers and others who could help us make our vision come to life.

Our first meeting was in December 2009 with illustrator Samantha Hahn.  I have always loved her work since I first saw it featured on Design for Mankind.  I contacted Samantha, a new mother, and my husband and I met with her (and little Henry) in a cafe in her Brooklyn neighborhood.  It was the beginning of a wonderful collaboration that resulted into our modern toile watercolor images.

Samantha Hahn
Samantha Hahn

AphroChic Brooklyn Life Pillow outdoor
Brooklyn Life Toile

After meeting with Sam, and knowing that we could bring our Brooklyn Life prints to reality, I went on to design our Vibe and Beat patterns.  With patterns and samples ready I was in search of a photographer who understood Brooklyn and the feel we were trying to capture.  That's how we met Melanie Acevedo.  An absolute dream come true, Melanie not only loved the Brooklyn concept, but she was from BK herself!  She also had some models in mind for us.  The first was a little girl named Sade, yes, the same little girl in the Domino picture!

AP_Aphrochic_0226
Sade

As we searched for a woman to be our model, Melanie called me up and told me she had found someone  - a beautiful actress, Adepero Oduye!  Not only did Adepero have the natural look that we love, but she is also from Brooklyn.  We knew she was the perfect fit!

AP_Aphrochic_1035
Adepero

Then it was time to think about styling.  I called up my sister, Angela Hays, a visual stylist for Room & Board, and with my husband already on board, we had quite a great team in place.  We needed some original styling pieces, and I reached out to some of my favorite artist and designers.  Leigh Viner created some fantastic original pieces that I fell completely in love with.  You can see them on the mantle in the image below and with our The Beat wallpaper.  They were the perfect styling accessory!

AP_Aphrochic_0349
Leigh's print graces the mantel.

AP_Aphrochic_0933
Love how strong the Lune print looks with our vintage skates and BK poster.

Lune Print 2
Lune Print 2

Lune Print
Lune Print

We also received jewelry from Jess LC and Barbara Campbell, and clothing from Brooklyn clothing designer Katie Buckley.

From start to finish, this collection has been a collaboration with so many amazing people.  We are thankful to everyone who helped the AphroChic Fall Collection come to life.  Later this week I'll share with you some behind-the-scenes pics from the shoot too.

{Images: 1. Domino; 2. Samantha Hahn; 3. Brooklyn Life Outdoor Pillow; 4. Melanie Acevedo for AphroChic; 5. Melanie Acevedo for AphroChic; 6. Melanie Acevedo for AphroChic; 7. Melanie Acevedo for AphroChic; 8. Lune Print 2; 9. Lune Print}

16 comments:

  1. Congratulations on the new collection, Jeanine! Thanks for sharing the process from your concepts and ideas through to the styling and launch of the collection - really interesting to read about how it all came together.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Every time I look at your stuff, I get so inspired. Beautiful, beautiful.

    Peace, Love and Chocolate
    Tiffany

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a wonderful story. Congratulations and well-deserved! From a lawyer to designer; you inspire me. I'm so glad to have met you on twitter.

    ReplyDelete
  4. i loooooved hearing about the inspiration/process behind such a fabulous collection, and of course, am thrilled to see samantha's work gracing your brand!

    congrats to you and everyone involved --- FANTASTIC job. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Congrats! As a Brooklynite, I share your appreciation for Brooklyn as a resource for artists, designers and entrepreneurs. It really is a fantastic place.

    The collectionlooks amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow, a hearty congratulations on your latest body of work and your success thus far! I really appreciate all the behind-the-scenes explanations, as well as the connections you made with so many talented people.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Just came across your blog- love what your doing! Very inspiring to me :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Congratulations on a job well done. Brooklyn is my home town and you've done it proud. The additions to the brand are wonderful and creative. Smile girl, U done good!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I always love the hear about the behind the scene story. Congratulations again on your new collection.

    ReplyDelete
  10. WOW!!! This is really fantastic - kudos to you and your team. The new line looks lovely. Keep you the good work. Congratulations!

    Stylishly yours,
    Kalyn

    ReplyDelete
  11. This collection is beyond chic - I'm obsessed with the yellow and white wallpaper...it's fabulous!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I remember that Domino image very well and I can totally see why it would be an inspirational photo for you or anyone for that matter! It is gorgeous and I want it along with the adorable little girl ;)...she really is super cute!
    Congratulations again!

    ReplyDelete
  13. OMG...nothing short of amazing...the colors, the patterns, the styling...perfection....I wish you all the best with your new line...congrats.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I LOVE the Lune print! everything you do is fabulous!
    In great awe,
    aliie
    (from India!)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Love the story behind the scenes. What a wonderful job on this collections. I offer my high five, and a hug...I am oh so happy for you, and what you have done. Congrats!

    Tam

    ReplyDelete
  16. I am really happy that people enjoy the behind-the-collection post. So happy you enjoyed reading about how the collection came together.

    ReplyDelete

We look forward to hearing what you have to say!

Articles You Will Love

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin