Friday, August 27, 2010

Style Talk With Design Star Emily Henderson!

emily and ian
Emily at the home of Glee Co-Creator and friend, Ian Brennan.

It's not every day that you get to talk to a true Design Star, so I was thrilled to be able to talk to HGTV Design Star winner Emily Henderson on Wednesday afternoon.  Just as she comes across on TV, Emily was warm, funny, and extremely down to earth.  We had a great chat about her experience on the show, her brand new show which premieres this Sunday, and her design experience with Glee pal Ian Brennan.


Congratulations on being HGTV's newest Design Star!  What was it like after you won the show? 
I got back from the show and the hardest part was keeping it a secret. After six weeks of so much productivity, I had nothing to do, and couldn’t tell people that I had won. I took the time to work on my portfolio and my blog.

Emily Henderson Portfolio

Can you tell us a little about your blog, The Brass Petal?
The blog is the best thing I’ve ever done. It’s completely mine. I started it on January 1st, and the more responses I got, the better I felt about myself. Blogging helped me develop the confidence to audition for the show. Honestly, professionally, it’s one of the best things I’ve ever done.

Emily Henderson Portfolio

What was it like preparing for your own HGTV show?
When talks of the pilot started, it was really awesome collaborating with HGTV. They understood that a host needs to stand behind a good show. I thought taping the show would be really stressful. It’s really different from styling for product shots. A week before starting to shoot I had a mini panic attack, but once I started shooting I felt so relaxed. It was a really fun experience, and I was sad when it was over. I didn’t want it to end.

emily henderson
Emily shopping for Ian Brennan's home.

What has the experience been like going from stylist to interior designer?
There are some new things I had to learn, but it was important for me to maintain my process. I took what I would normally do for a shoot and applied it to designing a room. I’m not the best at drawing, so I create moodboards that include patterns, color swatches, and photos of what I’m planning to bring to the space. In the end, it’s a living scrapbook. You’ll see this process on the show too.

Emily Henderson Portfolio

I love the idea for your new show - styling people's rooms around their fashion sense.  Is this what the new show will be all about? 
The show has evolved beyond just fashion. It’s about taking a look at a person’s entire lifestyle including the music they listen to, their favorite movies, and fashion. It’s a style diagnostic, if you will. It’s more original and I love it. People can watch the show and apply it to their own lives.

Are you able to give our readers a sense of what they can expect?
The show is called Secrets From A Stylist, and it airs this Sunday during the Design Star time slot. I’ll be re-doing the home of my close friend and co-creator of Glee, Ian Brennan. There’s no singing, but there are some pretty funny moments.

emily and ian reveal
Emily and Ian at the reveal of his redesigned space.

I keep reminding myself every 5 minutes that I won! I just finished watching the the show and am so excited.


And we are too Emily! Watch Secrets From A Stylist this Sunday night at 10pm ET/7pm PT. I can’t wait to see it.

{Images from Emily Henderson's portfolio furnished by HGTV}

5 comments:

  1. Huge congrats, Emily! Strap in.....;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. YEAH! Love Emily and love her design style! Great interview!

    -Chante

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can't wait to see her new show, I'll be in front of my TV to see it tonight. Fab interview

    ReplyDelete
  4. Absolutely love her! The inspiration of fashion and lifestyle for her design is completely original and I'm so glad I get to watch her work.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love her, but didn't Thom Filica have a show where he designed around outfits and personal objects... Dress My Nest I think.

    http://www.hulu.com/dress-my-nest

    ReplyDelete

We look forward to hearing what you have to say!

Articles You Will Love

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin